When I first read Sri Aurobindo, I was shocked.
Not because he was new to me. But because he had already said what I had been finding on my own.
I had been thinking about a yoga that is complete in itself. Not yoga as exercise, not yoga as escape, but a Purna Yoga — a yoga of the whole life. Body, mind, senses, and soul, all trained together. And there he was, writing about it decades ago.
I had been thinking about the psychic power, about training the senses, about going deeper than books and lectures. And there he was again, describing the same inner work with a clarity that felt like he had read my mind before I wasn't born even or maybe I was in another form then. Spirituality says that life and death are unending cycle. As I have been fascinated to know about myself since my childhood, I always strive to know myself. Often I feel curious about myself. Am I only the mortal body or a mind who keeps thinking endlessly? Or I am someone beyond all these and just using mind and body as tools.
The strangest part came during my B.Ed. in BCM College of Education, Chandigarh Road, Ludhiana.
The first time I was given a chance to come to stage, I spoke. I don’t remember planning it. It was just an extempore. To be honest, I hardly prepared anything. That day the words just came. Later, when I read Sri Aurobindo’s Philosophy of Education, I froze. Whatever I had spoken that day was completely aligned with what He taught to His disciplines! And believe me, I had not read him before that day! After the speech, my teacher of Philosophy, Dr. Gurwinder Singh Ji said, "Sudhir, today, you spoke about Sri Aurobindo. Have you read about Him?" My reply was, "No Sir!"
That was a shocking moment. Not because I had spoken what Sri Aurobindo said many years before but because it felt like two minds, separated by time, were looking at the same mystery of life.
Maybe that’s how truth works. It does not belong to one person. It keeps appearing.
The world may call it coincident but for me, it's more than that...
I don’t claim to be anyone. And how can I? I was just an average student during my school time. I was the one who afraid to speak and write in English. However, I managed to score 50% marks just because my grammar was good. But that's how destiny works. The universe assigned me something which I always afraid to do. Rest my students can better tell.
No comments:
Post a Comment